Universal PreKindergarten (UPK)
Click on the files linked below for applications to Universal Pre K.
The Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program provides curriculum and activities, 5 days per week, 2 ½ hours per day, which are appropriate to the age-level and individual needs of eligible children and which promote cognitive, linguistic, physical, cultural, emotional and social development. Activities shall be learner-centered and shall be designed and provided in a way that promotes the child’s total growth and development in all areas including emergent English literacy. Children are encouraged to be self-assured and independent.
Eligible children are those who reside within the school district and are four years of age on or before December 1st of the year in which he or she is enrolled or who will otherwise be first eligible to enter public school kindergarten commencing with the following school year. Selection is based on a lottery system.
Transportation is NOT provided and is the responsibility of the parent/caregiver.
Applying for Universal Pre-Kindergarten
- The number of available Pre-K slots for the District is determined annually by the NYS Education Department (SED).
- Complete the Universal Pre-K Application (available on web site, at District Central Administration Building and School Main Offices, or by calling Pre-K Office at (845) 943-3008).
- Intake Interview – appointments begin in January prior to the school year of enrollment. The Pre-K Family Worker schedules and conducts the interview.
- A lottery is held each year to fill slots at available sites. This lottery is usually held in May once SED has determined the number of slots.
- Acceptance lettersare mailed after completion of the lottery; any student who is not selected in the lottery will be placed on a waiting list and a letter will be mailed to the parents informing them of this.
- After the initial lottery is held, students will be registered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Open slots may become available throughout the year and will be filled from the waiting list.
If you are interested in applying for your child, please complete an application and return to:
Kingston City School District
Attn: Laura Finnigan, Pre-K Office
61 Crown Street
Kingston, NY 12401
Fax: (845) 339-3099